I caved in 29 years later..

Baker7

I caved in 29 years later..

Post by Baker7 »

After swearing to myself I'll never let VW put me through another hellifying car ownership experience.. after 29 years of holding out I'm taking another chance. Sold the 850 and got a 09 Touareg with 90k miles for $9.5k. Not a bad deal esp with the car looking, driving, smelling, feeling almost new. After meeting some folks over the years who swore they love their VWs AND after seeing a recent model GTI (my old car from the 80s) I gave it chance. Not the VW I remember from back when. Almost BMW like in fit and finish. I was impressed enough to break my vow to keep away.

I gotta say I'm pretty happy so far. I always loved the way VW rode and handled and it's even better than I remembered. For a big heavy vehicle it's quite nimble, rides carlike and feels solid. Good amount of luxury feel and can't complain at all, esp with the previous owner fixing all issues like the driveshaft bearing, coils, etc. Only thing that bugged me was the radio navi went dead the next day after purchase, but no biggie. Gives me chance to upgrade anyway.

At less than $10k for a close to $50k car in great shape I guess it's making up for the hell I went through in the first VW.. (fingers crossed)
Matt
Site Admin

Re: I caved in 29 years later..

Post by Matt »

Oh wow. Good for you Baker, gotta treat yourself at times. I need to do that more... but I digress...

Those Touregs are the same thing as Porsche Cayenne, except not as big hp, brakes, and interiors aren't as luxury.

I too am thinking about going new/new-ish VW from Volvo 850. I'd get a manual Golf Wagon I think. GTI, which I've wanted since the 80s, might be too small for me. I have a 6-year-old, and he has friends, and they're starting to do lots of sports and activities together... thus the wagon.

Thanks for posting! Keep us updated!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic