DIY - Sources

Talk about anything here
Forum rules
Please be polite and post "safe for work" material.
Rob57

DIY - Sources

Post by Rob57 »

There are many VW/Audi manuals out there: Chilton, Haynes, a glove box sized repair manual made in the UK that I can't remember the name of, AND The Robert Bentley Manuals. If you've never owned a Robert Bentley manual; here are where they differ from the others. 1). Cost 2X more 2). about 2X as thick with slightly larger, superior print on excellent quality paper, 3). Comprehensive for a particular model 3.) Includes the precise tool list including special tools and their part numbers and source of supply to buy them 4.) Numerous Illustrations are orthographic drawings with a few photos when needed 5.) Diagnosis flow charts after each system covered in the vehicle which is ALL of them.

If you own a VW/Audi, perform your own maintenance and don't have a Bentley manual, you'll will come to regret it. (Friends, I don't work for or have anything to do with book selling or the publisher. I repair my own cars and have had an old Bug and Passat Wagon. European Car magazine used to be named the VW/Porche magazine and I had a subscription for years. The tech tips sections in each issue are invaluable and aftermarket suppliers offer good value and superior products.
ig-88a

Re: DIY - Sources

Post by ig-88a »

I can second what Rob57 is saying about the VW Bentley manuals. They are the best and most detailed repair manuals I've ever seen. About as big and thick as an old phone book. I particularly love the exploded view diagrams, including every nut, bolt, clip, component of whichever system you were looking at. The exploded views even list torque values for the fasteners, so you don't have to flip to the back of the section to hopefully find them, or read through a bunch of text looking for a torque spec for a particular nut/bolt/screw. I'd usually read through the section before my repair. But during dis-assembly and re-assembly, I always had my book open to those exploded diagrams. They really were invaluable. I only wish they made Bentley manuals for the P80 series of Volvos, which I now own two of. Bentley really puts the Haynes and Chilton books to shame. I own a '97 GTI VR6 and a '91 Jetta, and these are the best purchases I've made for either of those vehicles, hands down. Yes, they're more expensive than your run-of-the-mill repair manual. But the frustration they save you when working in unfamiliar territory, is well worth the price of admission.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic