2004 Passat 1.8t

ecaw

2004 Passat 1.8t

Post by ecaw »

Hi, I have a 2004 Passat 1.8t 4motion and have a code for the air injection pump...This seems kind of common, my question is should I just replace it or is it also common that it's just a cracked air line or something else?...Any help would be appreciated.
Clarthom

Re: 2004 Passat 1.8t

Post by Clarthom »

You should be able to listen for air leaks upon initial cold start. I'm pretty new to vw/audi but, I had a similar issue on my volvo v70ra few years back. Ended up being the pump itself. Some how water collected in the pump and it seized. I was able to disable it and solder a resistor into the ecu. That was the end of my emission problems.

I also have a code for air injection pump in my 98 audi a4 (same b5 platform). I was considering looking into doing a similar ecu modification.

If I pursue it, I'll let you know what I learn.

-Tom
bmdubya1198

Post by bmdubya1198 »

I would check the hoses just in case. Just from my previous experience, it's probably the pump, but always check the cheaper/easier things first!
maddice

Post by maddice »

Hi - I had the 2002 B5.5 with the 1.8T. I also experienced the same issues. There were two things I needed to replace, the hose between the turbo itself and the Mass Air Sensor that sits in the middle of the hose. the codes you read may not be all that accurate. Mine were not even close.
gfmatthe

Post by gfmatthe »

Hi,

if you have suitable diagnostic equipment you can cycle the pump and check for air leaks, very common on this model. If found a used one can be picked up from breakers for approx. 50 euros. Less than one hour to install if you remove the power steering hose (ps fluid is inexpensive) You will spend hours trying to get that top bracket bolt out - and several more trying to get that bolt back in. Not sure what a new unit would set you back but it's usually worth the gamble on the breakers.

Have seen same code for a bad combination valve in the past depending on diagnostic equipment used. A bad combi valve will kill the secondary air pump in a very short time.

Gary.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic